Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

Week 1 - Day 1 - Activity 1


In this activity I read a story called Maui and The Giant Fish. I have read many different stories about Maui: how Maui slowed the sun and how Maui brought fire to the world but I have not read this one. The story was about Maui wanting to prove to his brothers that he was a great fisherman. He weaved together his own fishing line and caught a huge fish. From this story I picked three interesting that I didn't already know.

  1. The huge fish Maui had caught became known as the North Island of Aotearoa and his canoe became the South Island of Aotearoa
  2. Maui used the blood from his nose as bait to catch the gigantic fish
  3. The gullies and mountains the brothers had made became landscapes of Aotearoa

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mataio,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you this summer during the Summer Learning Journey. It's great to see that you have made a start on these activities and have been racing through by the looks of things!

    These are great facts about the story! Well done. I think they are all really interesting and I like how you have laid them out so they are easy to read.
    Wasn't it interesting how Maui punched himself in the nose to use his own blood as bait?! I don't think I could do that.
    Can you tell me how Aotearoa got it's name? Reading your blog post has made me wonder.

    It's great to see that you have heard of those Maui stories all ready! They are all very good and an important part of Aotearoa's mythology. Do you have a favourite story about Maui?

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mataio

    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    what amazing facts you have put into this task, it is really well written. Well done. Did you think this task difficult?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mataio
    Well done on finishing the first summer learning journey activity. You did an amazing job. I had no idea that Maui's brothers made the mountains and gullies. Keep up the awesome work Mataio.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete